
The Frostbite Falls Flying Squirrels secured their fifth playoff spot in their history with a rousing six-run seventh against the Finches bullpen, rallying to win their final game of the year on the road in Australia by a score of 9-7, and in the process eliminating both Yuma and Worcester from wild-card contention. Frostbite Falls (87-65) tied Western Division winner Lexington for the loop’s second-best record, and it was a team effort.
The Finches, resting their rotation for the playoffs, started rookie Max Scherzer, and the youngster had his best day in a Darwin ‘uni’, taking a 3-1 lead into the sixth. But Clayton Kershaw (1-2, 9.37) and Kevin Gregg were dreadful in relief, allowing the Squirrels to bat around and go up 8-3. Magglio Ordonez and Aki Iwamura both smacked doubles with the bases loaded, and Victor Martinez and Brad Hawpe both delivered fly balls to score runs. All of this made Squirrels rookie Tim Lincecum (10-9, 3.37) a happy camper. Darwin didn’t go down without a fight: both Chipper Jones and Lance Berkman came off the bench to collect pinch-hits against Eric O’Flaherty, and the Finches scored four times to narrow the score, but in the ninth Joe Nathan delivered his 28th save to put his team in the post-season.
In other BARB action:
WORCESTER 4, BROOKLYN 0
WP: Joba Chamberlain (3-2, 2.65)
LP: Ubaldo Jiminez (7-7, 5.31)
Joba Chamberlain flirted with a no-hitter for six innings and Alex Rios and Garret Atkins both went deep as the Eliminators (86-66) went out in style, finishing just one game behind the Squirrels in the East and tied with Yuma for the loop’s third-best record. Alas, there are only four playoff spots and so the Elims found themselves again eliminated in the last day despite a strong (11-5) finish.
LAS VEGAS 2, OAKEYLAND 0
WP: A.J. Burnett (14-8, 3.48)
LP: Daisuke Matsuzaka (10-10, 4.53)
A.J. Burnett fanned nine and allowed only one hit through seven frames in a playoff tuneup, as the Luchadores (76-76) managed to finish at .500 and ‘win’ their second straight Central Division crown despite a disastrously bad final month (7-14) that saw their overworked bullpen collapse. Burnett was therefore given a long leash in his last two starts, and Jimmy Rollins hit an RBI triple and scored off ‘Dice-K’ in the third to give him all the runs he would need.
S-MART 2, POTTSYLVANIA 0
WP: James Shields (11-12, 3.91)
LP: Cliff Lee (6-14, 5.60)
James Shields became only the second BARB hurler this season (Roy Halladay was the other) to go ten innings in a complete game victory, winning a scoreless duel with the Creepers’ Cliff Lee when Gary Sheffield hit a two-run bomb with one down in the bottom of the tenth. The Boom Sticks (65-87) thus finished with a .500 mark in September after a post All-Star Break collapse, eleven games out of first place. The Creepers, meanwhile, achieved the dubious distinction of losing 100 games and will draft ahead of all other returning teams in 2009.
CASSELTON 9, YUMA 5
WP: Aaron Harang (9-11, 4.63)
LP: C.C. Sabathia (18-7, 2.79)
Needing another epic outing from their ace and a win to force a one-game playoff, the Yuma Firebirds instead were stunned as C.C. Sabathia (the loop’s winningest pitcher, and likely Cy Young winner) was touched for five runs in the first by the cellar-dwelling Horned Toads. Sabathia retired leadoff hitter Ricky Weeks, but loaded the bases for James Loney (who tripled) and left them loaded two runs later for reliever Manny Corpas. When, two innings later, journeyman Kendry Morales singled with the bases loaded off the normally-reliable Rafael Perez, the rout was on. Yuma (86-66) thus finished one game behind idle Lexington, thus crowning the Rebels.
DIVISION WINNERS EXPRESS RELIEF, SATISFACTION
"The Frostbite Falls Flying Squirrels Baseball Club is very excited that our players persevered and made the playoffs once again,” said Squirrels GM Andrew Haynes. “It is good to be back in the running for the World Championship after a one-year hiatus. Last year, the club fell one game short of making the playoffs for the fifth-straight season. They made it to the final four teams each of the first four seasons (2003-2006), winning the World Series three times and finishing as runner-up to Brooklyn in their only non-championship season, 2004.
“After starting the season with one of the best teams in the league and dealing with many injuries to important players, to see our guys step up and finish the season on a roll is great,' said GM Jack Zduriencik. 'Our guys who have come from the Nomads, Carlos Beltran, Evan Longoria, Joakim Soria and Cole Hamels, just to name a few, are excited to go back and play at the place where they once had (temporary) residence.”
“If you think we're just pleased with making it, you're wrong,”said owner Andrew Haynes. “I know we have three BARB World Series trophies at team headquarters, but the desire to win is still there. This matchup with Lexington will be pitting the two best pitching staffs in BARB against each other, so I expect it to be a dogfight.”
“The Squirrels might have a slight advantage in experience, because Ronald Melkonian's Viper/Conquistador/D-Back/Rebel franchise has never made the playoffs."
The Rebels, meanwhile, are juiced. According to GM Melkonian, “Today is a special day for many of us, as well as the city of Lexington. We finally made it after a long four years, and mark my words: WE AREN'T STOPPING HERE! We are going all the way folks and we have the best players to accomplish the feat. With the best rotation hands down, and bats that strike fear in all the arms in BARB, we ARE THE TEAM TO BEAT! Las Vegas... their child's play! Frostbite... no problem! Darwin... isn't it hunting season already?!”
7 comments:
ok this may be my last year. i just got screwed out of the playoffs. i put way too much effort in this league to be treated this way.
ok well bye matt...
fyi, your not the only one who has been "screwed" out of the playoffs. I did when Francis, who pitched too many games as a spot starter with like 10 games left, lost me the chance to get in for my first time cause Hatfield ignored by direction. Furthermore, other GM's have had their changes messed up for long periods of time. That why you keep resending them for a while to make sure they are correct.
Anyways, you whine WAY to much and before the season starts, you think your an automatic ticket to the playoffs. Shit, you will come up with some crap if you don't make it in the end, whether or not everything with your changes went 100% perfect! Thats ignorant and stupid... your like the Yankees, minus their talent; only their stupidity cause they think with some big names they are going all the way. HAHAHAHAHAHA. A lesson learned I think this year...
youre an idiot ronald. and no one takes you seriously at this point. and i missed the playoffs by one game. you dont think derrek lee impacts by team by one game? thats insane. had i not been cheated out of using him, i make the playoffs.
Well, I dont think matthew was cheated out of using his DH. I also don't think ronald understand the situation. It wasn't a roster move, a lineup move, or any change, it was a principle that at the beginning of the season all teams must choose to have DH or no DH. Matthew chose to have a DH, I did not. However the league reversed our decision, which we were unaware until the all-star packets were released in July. Therefore for half of the season I had Aki Iwamura getting 250+ ABs and Derrek Lee (Worcestor) had much less.
Be clear. I do NOT think that it was a league conspiracy. I also think matthew should not quit the league over a mistake. I too missed out because my strategy was not employed. Unlike matthew however, my team did not play well after the change. I would say matthew had the best overall record since the All-Star break (just a guess).
Also, I hate to bring this up again, but the debacle over Purves (which Oliver added) is ironic. Ronald defended Purves and there was criticism of me for actively pursuing league participation. Criticized as I was, I hinted at the fact that if Oliver and Purves felt that there participation was too much on their daily lives, perhaps this league was not meant for them. Ronald came out of nowhere and defended them. How is this case any different with Ronald changing ideology?
It isn't. Matthew participates as much as anyone. This league is lucky to have an owner dedicated to his team. We have struggled through "dead-owners." I have tried to inquiry about the availability (no offers) of certain players with no response. I am sure I burned a bridge to nowhere, unless they are on vacation and will respond around draft day, big help now. Point is Ronald you are a hypocrite and the league is lucky to have owners like you, Ronald and you, Matthew. At least this debate is more entertaining that the lively debate in Vegas and wherever Purves is from.
Both of you just shut up. Especially Ronald, or anyone, when you don't have all the details.
Eric and other in BARB (please read all the information if one is to understand fully what I'm trying to say),
You preach about others not knowing details and in a way suggest one shouldn't speak if they don't have the details; if they do, then they are considered hypocrites.
First of all, if this is the case, then Eric shouldn't say anything regarding Mr. Purves and Mr. Oliver (about the subject of their "lack of" participation in the league). Eric, you, as well as others, seem to have a problem with the "lack of" participation by Mr. Purves and Mr. Oliver and "attack" them because of this... but all the while, you don't know the details. SO, if I'm a hypocrite, then you are as well, because if you don't think others should speak without knowing the details, then what are you doing "attacking" Mr. Purves and Mr. Oliver on the topic of their participation in the league, without knowing the details (in this case, the details about what may be inhibiting them from participating in the league like some of the other GM's present).
I stand by both, more Mr. Purves, because he told his various situations he was in, to me; I was understanding and happy to listen. If perhaps someone (ERIC) would have approached him differently, they would have learned what I did; but that didn't happen. He was questioned and left to defend himself with only Mr. Oliver by his side; all the while talks began immaturely about him perhaps leaving the league. I chose to take Mr. Purves side because of the information I was given by Mr. Purves himself (deemed personal); on what was keeping him from actively participating in the league. Why was I given this information and not others? Perhaps because of the way I approached and understood him and allowed him sufficient time (weeks) to get back to me. So on this topic, in knowing the details of the situation (unlike others), I chose a position and stood next to it, justifying it as the season went on.
So now we come to the topic on Matt. I did, just like in the Mr. Purves situation, know and understand the facts of the situation; especially when they were brought up during the All-Star meeting, as well as through the blog posts from him (yeah you may be shocked already...). I knew about Matt, as well as you Eric, about how you wanted the DH in your home stadium. Unfortunately, this MAJOR detail was overlooked by Mr. Hatfield, and wasn't implemented until after the break. I understand how this COULD effect a team; you lose at-bats to a pitcher (for the sake of argument, 200ish) and not to an accomplished hitter (in this case, Derek Lee). First, I understand and feel what Matt is going through because I, as well as other GM's, had this happen to us in the past, as well as during this present season (having changes and settings being put in incorrectly). Though, because this is a simulated baseball league, we truly have no clue whether or not this mishap would have changed the course of Worcester's season. WE truly have no way of finding this out, cause every time you simulate a season, you will have thousands of outcomes happen. It is ignorant and foolish for one to say that if Derek Lee was the DH at the beginning of the season, Worcester would have won every game with him present; still foolish if one says at least half of their games they would have won, because the thing deciding the outcome is a computer and it's doing random simulations.
Because this league is simulated, it is unknown just how many games Worcester would have won, and due to this, we will never know because even if you decided to re-simulate this season, you will get a different outcome every time; perhaps sometimes he makes it, perhaps other times not. Just like players sometimes not playing to their seed (stats), sometimes our changes we wanted may not work the way we wanted them to. Perhaps it could have been to Matt's advantage not having a DH at his home, because without a DH, his pitchers would have the advantage in facing the opposing line-up's pitcher during every home game, thus boasting his staff's ability to win games due to his arms! What he lost in offense, he perhaps gained in pitching... his team's ERA was one of the tops in BARB this whole season, despite injuries, so one could say not having a DH at home boasted his staff's "power" for the first half, setting up his current position in the second half.
So if Worcester is stating their post-season chances were hurt MAINLY because they were not allowed to use a DH during the first half of the season (remember, trades and injuries effect every game despite the changes we want), then one should look at the wins/losses as well as the team's ERA and batting average for each half of the whole season (at home that is); did they win more during the first half or the second half? IF the 2nd half numbers are in favor of more wins and it shows the offense is the primary reason of this, then perhaps the argument can be made that Worcester could have been in the post-season if he was allowed to use a DH in the beginning. BUT if the numbers show a better winning percentage during the first half due to his pitching ability at home, then there isn't a good, solid argument that having a DH in the beginning would have helped, because the numbers showed they did better without one than with one.
So lets see the stats and then make the statement; as far as I see it, his argument/statement doesn't hold water.
Based on the above information I provided, I hold my position, as well as my position on the topic of Mr. Purves. Furthermore, I don't believe there is a "conspiracy." To think there is one is flat out wrong; Mr. Hatfield is good in my book. He has run honorable leagues in the past and has the most experience in doing one. I do admit that despite this, there should be extra time devoted in making sure all owner's request for changes and settings be implemented correctly. I have perhaps lost out on a post-season due to not getting changes put in correctly by Mr. Hatfield, but no one is perfect, as all owners have fell victim to this; whether minor or major, they all effect the outcome of game(s) and perhaps a season.
In conclusion, I'm happy to have in the league, despite some conflicts with some GM's (as fantasy baseball GM's... not personally!!!! Eric is my friend and we go way back, and I respect Matt cause him and I aren't so different!) most of the GM's in BARB. We have a good core, and next season is a very important one for the league; we expand 3 teams, one for each current division. We need owners who know what they are doing; drafting Reed Johnson with your first round isn't what we need. We need those who know that drafting James Shields (Mr. Purves) is a good choice and drafting any Japanese player to hit the market is good for others (haha Jeff)... I would like to see Matt return as well as others. I think some things should change next season, but I think that discussion should be heard and listened to during the Winter Meetings.
"I would like to see Matt return as well as others."
and
"ok well bye matt..."
what's next?
and no one is saying "It is ignorant and foolish for one to say that if Derek Lee was the DH at the beginning of the season, Worcester would have won every game with him present"
All i am saying is that Derrek Lee and his 63 RBI with RISP impact my team by at least one game.
Again you don't grasp the concept! I wrote a nice long explanation, which was clear. I didn't say anyone said this or that (what you quoted in the above comment). Just said in theory if someone thought that it would be... read carefully and don't assume.
Also, you whine too much so I'm not going to have much respect for that. You want to leave cause you can't handle then bye. Otherwise, I hope you stay cause your a GM who knows there stuff and we don't have many who do. Again want to quite cause you think your being cheated, then leave. Want to stay cause your determined to gut it out and suck it up, then I'm for that.
And again my argument; having Derek Lee may or may not have helped you cause your pitching for the first half was tops; thus your staff was benifiting not having to face a DH when you played at home, leading to many wins.
Like I said, look at the win%, team pitching stats and batting stats of the 1st and 2nd half of this year. IF you won more games in the first half and pithcing was an ovbious advantage at home, then replacing those wins by putting the DH at your home may have been a negative. Anyways, I've explained this twice. IF you can grasp what I'm saying then there's no hope for you.
I'm done on this topic...! You didn't make it and that's that. Good luck next season.
Post a Comment