Frostbite Falls, at 15-5, is off to a great start after acquiring LHP Cole Hamels to buttress their rotation, and Worcester (10-10, but last in the East) has been quick to respond. The Eliminators made a big trade with the Oakeyland Ballers to acquire RHP Tim Hudson, who could arguably be the #2 starter for virtually any club in BARB. More details from the very satisfied Matt Caskey here. With LHP Eric Bedard slated to return from the DL this week, the Eliminators doubtless are looking to a rise in the standings.
At press time, the Ballers had no comment on the deal, which is sure to stoke the pot, other than to name LHP Dana Eveland to fill Hudson's spot, if not the righty's shoes. For Hudson, Oakeyland received promising young C Kurt Suzuki and 3B Greg Reynolds, a power source at the hot corner blocked by Garret Atkins and now, for the Ballers, an insurance policy for the injured Mike Lowell.
*
In other roster moves, the Brooklyn Moabs had reactivated CF Curtis Granderson, but were concerned by a leg injury to young SS Troy Tulowitski. Insiders feared that 'Tulo' might be out for a significant amount of time, which would create opportunities for last year's out-of-favor starter (Jhonny Peralta) and backup IF Aki Iwamura.
*
The Pottsylvania Creepers, already minus the services of Pedro Martinez, Chris Carpenter, Mark Mulder and Noah Lowry, lost yet another starter to the DL when Brad Thompson was sidelined. Creepers GM Jeff Moore confirmed that the club was calling up minor-league free agent Nate Robertson (a former Boom Stick) to fill the rotation spot for now.
Meanwhile, speaking of the Boom Sticks, the S-Mart club has acquired LHP Chuck James (formerly of Las Vegas) from the Darwin Finches in return for a player to be named after rosters expand on September 1st. "This is not a major deal," admitted Darwin GM Scott Hatfield. "We just felt that James wasn't going to be a good fit for us in the bullpen, and we anticipate getting Scott Kazmir back and we needed a slot."
15 comments:
wait a minute, september callups this year? when did we decide this? ive been trying to deal depth because i was concerned i would have to release player when/if zumaya and gonzalez come back.
Yeah, that September callup thing has never been used and was never discussed.
commissioners liberty
guys yes we have had this; expanding your rosters like the majors do towards the end of the year. We did this last year and the year before.
OK, OK, relax. There is no 'September callup' or 'expanded rosters' rule, nor am I saying that I'm using my commissioner's powers to change things. I was just using the sort of language MLB clubs use in announcing these sorts of deals. The point is that whatever player I get, they aren't a major name and I don't get them until after Sept. 1st, which is roughly the point where the trading deadline will occur in our league, around Game Day 130. Relax, people.
Eric:
ive been trying to deal depth because i was concerned i would have to release player when/if zumaya and gonzalez come back.
That is precisely why Darwin shopped, and then dealt, Chuck James. I probably had to accept below-market value because I have a roster squeeze and no leverage in negotiations.
SH:
wow! Below Market value on Chuck James? That's brutal. I mean the guy is pitching with a torn rotator cuff (seriously look it up) and he has been hit horribly for about a year now. Good deal to get RID of him, seriously. Below market value, who did you acquire?
Ronald, what you smoking?
Ronald: did you cheat last year? Because I didn't expand my rosters. Prevously seasons, I did not expand my roster, nor did most other teams... maybe Andrew is correct that you smoked something...
Below market value, who did you acquire?
Well, that would be unfair to the other owner. Basically all I got was a shot at insurance on Sept. 1, for a player that would never start for me, and only if the club in question doesn't have a need. If they have a need, I don't get the guy until after the season is over.
James may be hurt and sucking badly, but he is left-handed and starting for a good club, and that makes him worth more. There's still time for him to turn his season around and get his ERA in the mid-4.00's and win a few games. I just can't use him with my club, so it made sense to move him.
First,
I could have sworn Mr. Hatfield called for our expanded 25-Man roster last year for a handful of games before the playoffs. If not then whatever, its not a big deal.
Second,
HA HA HA to those who thought I was crazy draining my roster to 30 men before the draft. Now look, I'm the only team with great flexibility and the lowest salary! (Um Mr. Hatfield, you must know why now I did what I did in the offseason.
Third,
CHUCK JAMES SUCKS! He can be a good bullpen arm but doesn't have enough or deep arnsarl of pitches to use as a starter. Good job getting rid of him. because he is established you have to use him and cause of his numbers, he will only hurt you!
whats arnsal?
Oh come on Matt, you are in the same state as Ronald now (Massachusets, unless there's another Lexington somewhere). You should that it is spelled "arnsarl"!
I assume you were trying to say "arsenal," Ronald?
Ronald:
As for "draining" your roster, not the smartest move, but hey you are ronald. You more than any other owner can wheel and deal, so numbers do not matter for you. Go ahead and expand your roster, I think you are taking on one more player?
Chuckie James:
Look at his numbers (if you can find them), when James pitches through the lineup the first time, he is very good, normally. But the second and third time, the batting average against rises dramatically, by at least .200 or .300 points. That is horrible. As for James in the bullpen, something tells me the way he kills the momemtum on his throws by leaning back, he wouldn't last 50 or 60 games in a year. He defines a 4A player. He has one of the most unnatural pitching styles and there is no wonder he was hurt last year, this year, and will be in the future. You cannot just throw against a stiff leg (like literally implanted a few feet in front meaning no stride first) and throw with just your arm as your upper body doesn't lean forward liek Rick Sutcliffe taught all of us how to throw when we were younger. James is horrendously sorry, good pick up Purves-- I guess you really do have a plan.
HA HA HA to those who thought I was crazy draining my roster to 30 men before the draft. Now look, I'm the only team with great flexibility and the lowest salary! (Um Mr. Hatfield, you must know why now I did what I did in the offseason.
Let the record show that I still think Ronald was crazy. What good is flexibility if you don't have the talent to make deals?
As far as James goes, Eric makes a good point about his motion, but no more so than any other pitcher who has unusual mechanics. It's a double-edged sword: James puts a lot of torque on his upper body, inviting injury, but on the other hand, his motion gives him some deception, which can make him effective....as long as he can throw strikes. It's a lack of control that's undoing him. He could still be a useful bottom of the rotation starter for the right club, just not for Darwin.
Post a Comment